How to (properly) fast and not be miserable.
In the past few years, the growing popularity of fasting has gained it much needed attention. Study after study shows the benefits of timed fasting for weight management, insulin regulation, increase in hormone production, and practically every other health marker under the sun. Just take one google search for "benefits of fasting" and countless articles can explain it so much better but I can. Fortunately for me, this blog isn't about the scientific jargon that the egg heads do countless painstaking hours of research for. I just need to make it as simple as possible to fast, and not hate yourself in the process.
My own personal experiences of success (and failure) of an intended fast, comes down to a few key points id like everyone to keep in mind when attempting to do a fast. Some are so simple, you might be surprised they need mentioning, others might be helpful advice to eek even more hours in for the most experienced faster.
Mind state in starting a fast
This might be one of the most important parts is not just beginning a fast, but any lifestyle change period. DO IT FOR THE RIGHT REASONS. It's really easy for a diet plan to turn into a full-blown eating disorder if you're too dogmatic about. So before you even think about not eating, make sure your motives are in the right place. Any lifestyle changes should first and foremost be enjoyable, otherwise, its only a matter of time before you jump right back into old habits. Set some realistic goals and gradually nudge the marker a little more each time until your ready for something substantial. There are many types of fasting protocols but we will get into those another time. A fast could be anywhere between from 16 hours upwards to 72 hours and beyond. It sounds like a difficult task for sure, but it is possible and it is worth it.
The most I've ever fasted was about 53 hours, my longest time in which I felt the most accomplished. Many factors played into it being successful, I had a light few days ahead, I was well rested, well hydrated and it just felt right. I chose to push my body, and when I was done with it I was done with it, I ate, felt amazing and didn't struggle too much while doing it.
Fasting Dont's!
What should you do to begin a fast
Before you fast, to make it so much easier, EAT A BIG MEAL. One that will stay in your belly, make you feel satisfied, usually right before your first 8 hours of your fast, ie, before bed. Make sure its packed with fat, protein, and greens, load up on the leafy stuff.
Don't forget to drink plenty of water during your fast. Mostly water, I like to drink a black coffee every once in a while but most anything else will break a fast.
Lastly, don't you dare forget to enjoy it.
Cravings will come and go, sometimes more frequently than others. Before you go and eating and breaking your fast too soon, wait a moment and listen to your body a bit more. Is it really starvation, or cravings, do you feel weak or just bored? When you are truly hungry you will feel it in your bones, not just in a gurgling tummy. The body knows what it needs and if you listen to it, it will tell everything you really need.
The beginning of any lifestyle change starts with you simply making the decision to take the plunge.

Comments
Post a Comment